Saturday, February 19, 2011

Capers with Kaffe


The moment is nearly upon me. Tomorrow is the day when I get to spend some time at Amitie doing a class run by Kaffe Fassett. I think I booked this about 3 months ago and of the several 100 applicants, only 30 were chosen to be part of the action.
We have been told that we will be doing his bordered diamonds class and a list of colour choices were suggested. Not so much the colour but the intensity of the colours. This threw me into a spin. Should I use his fabrics and what does tone on tone, low contrast in lightness and darkness really mean? In the end I decided on lots of bright, naive fabrics because I had lots of them and I wanted my quilt to be totally different from his.
I am happy to listen to the theory and hopefully learn from the guru of colour and pattern - after all that is really why I am going but I just couldn't dare to attempt something that might be compared with his work. Chicken? Yep.
I bought a triangle ruler as per the supply list, which I have never used before so hopefully I will pick up on what to do with it.
So now all I have to do is finish my packing of ruler, cutting board, machine, threads, scissors....
I think I will have more stuff to carry than when I went to overseas.

4 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Although, I think I would be a bit intimidated when someone like KF would look over my shoulders while I work. Have fun and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap!! See you tomorrow!!
    (But you don't need to shlep your machine. No actual sewing tomorrow. Just cutting, arranging and general fondling ... fabric that is).
    Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, lucky you! I'm jealous. Some of my quilting friends in Utah took a class from him. They learned a lot. They are always saying,"Well, Kaffe says..." I think they have a crush on him! LOL

    Have fun and learn a lot. I'm anxious to see your quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love hearing from you and your comment really means a lot to me.